Monday, January 27, 2014

How to grocery shop

Grocery shopping. We all do it. But are we doing it right?

Ever since I embarked on this (reboot) clean eating lifestyle/journey, which has coincided with paying extra careful attention to my finances, I've starting forcing myself to be better prepared before leaving the house for the grocery store.

Here's a list of things to keep in mind before making your next grocery store trip:

1. Take an inventory of your pantry, fridge, and freezer.
I can't tell you how many times I've bought something at the store (carrots, especially), only to come home and realize I already had a package or two waiting for me in the fridge. It's just wasteful. Unless you picked up something that's not perishable, like frozen fruit or veggies, you sort of accidentally stocked up, but try and take full note of what you have before you buy more.

1a. Plan your week based on what you have.
Make the most out of those things you already have. Last night, I made frozen cauliflower that I'd had in my freezer for god knows how long, and I came up with the Cauliflower SLAM recipe, on the spot.

All those things you pinned? All those cookbooks you bought, and are taking up space on your kitchen island?
Go through those things. If you keep buying things, and end up letting them go to waste, something's wrong. Search Pinterest for "stuffed pepper recipes," or whatever it may be. And if there was something particularly good you found before that you pinned, plot out the ingredients, buy them, and make the recipe!

2. Don't be afraid to Google. ANYTHING.
I am an absolute dummy in the kitchen. My good friend Brittani can attest to that. I even once managed to completely screw up turkey burgers (read: turkey "cookies."). Apparently flattening out the meat into a patty shape is absolutely essential).

I've figured out how to cook things in the clean/healthy/IBS-friendly way purely by googling, and a lot of trial and error.

As far as my kitchen search history goes, I've looked up:
How long to grill chicken on a Foreman
How to bake chicken in the oven
How to bake fish in foil
How to boil eggs (NOT EVEN KIDDING, I had no idea.)

3. Don't buy those things you know you have ZERO control over
For me, it's chocolate chips, or any sort of novelty ice cream, like Skinny Cow, or those amazing Diana's brand Chocolate-Covered Frozen Bananas. As we know, those things are out of the new lifestyle, so it's no big thang.

As they say, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. If you don't have those things in your pantry/fridge/freezer that cause you to eat like a monster, then you shan't eat like a monster.

It's that simple.

4. Make Sunday your bitch.
Sunday Funday.

For me, it goes a little like this:
9A: Wake up. Make coffee with a splash of half and half.
9:30A: Quickly dress and pack gym bag, and head out the door.
1030A-11:25A: Teach RPM.

After that: Eat good food at home, and log all of it on myfitnesspal and LoseIt.

Shower.

Then, take inventory of pantry/fridge/freezer, and make a shopping list.

Go to the grocery store. STICK TO THE LIST.

Come home.

Start prepping things. I'll wash/dry strawberries and set them aside in a Tupperware for weekly use.

Depending on what I've bought, and my plans for the week, I'll go ahead and do things like grill up chicken tenders (not the fried crap you think of, but just that smaller size o' chicken that's more manageable for me on a Foreman) and pack them up in a Tupperware to dole out during the week for lunch.

Sometimes, I'll boil several eggs, let them cool, peel them, and stick them in a Tupperware for easy salad-making for when I come home from teaching or taking an exercise class during the week.

And when they're "cheetah-spotted," I peel my bananas and stick them in Tupperwares for easy future Yonanas use.

I've got 2 Pinterest accounts going, and here's where I recommend you look:
http://www.pinterest.com/stelebfitclub/food-is-fuel/
My "Food is Fuel" board on the StelebrityFitClub Pinterest account
http://www.pinterest.com/stellerson/new-food-new-look-new-life-november-and-beyond/
From the New Look New Life New Food board on my personal Pinterest account

No one said it would easy, but it doesn't have to be hard :)

No comments:

Post a Comment