Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Make This Now: Today's Green Smoothie


Ah, the green smoothie. A year ago, one of my bosses (we've got three on our team) was sipping on something green in a clear cup, and someone asked her what she was sippin' on (rare Britney Spears reference). She listed off the ingredients, and to me, it kept sounding worse and worse. She was already incredibly thin and healthy, so I couldn't imagine why she would subject herself to such torture. Spinach, in a smoothie? Kale? Cottage cheese? Flax seed? Was she crazy?
 
You don't have to make it that way. You also don't have to do any of this, but for me, a green, or otherwise smoothie, accomplishes these things:
 
It's FAST. Today, I rushed home after teaching RPM class 1 of the day (6A). I had about 20 minutes to take my daily pills/make and eat breakfast/shower/quickly dress and make myself presentable/and get out the door. Where I work, you're penalized, financially out of your EOY bonus, for being late more than 3x a month. And here, late is anything after 8:29:59, even if it's a second or two. This takes less than 5 minutes to make, and I've got a Keurig iced coffee to go cup with its own straw that makes smoothies great for the girl-on-the-go.
 
 
It's GOOD. It actually tastes good. Unlike other "healthy" things out there, you're going to sip with a smile, instead of a cringe on your face.
 
You get a whole bunch of nutrients that are filling without weighing you down. You start your day on the right foot, without feeling like a bloated, beached whale. I can't do lactose, so that's why I opt for unsweetened almond milk or coconut water over greek yogurt, or blech, cottage cheese.
On days where I have more time, I'll go for a quick scrambled egg or egg cup, or fruit with some PB2.
Chocolate PB2. Powdered peanuts, a little sugar/cocoa powder, and that's IT. 1.5 g fat, 45 calories.
 
 
BEHOLD, the recipe for the easiest, fastest, best-tasting green smoothie around (in my very humble opinion):
 

·         1-2 cups Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (30 calories per cup)
 
·         1 tbsp. avocado (I used Wholly Avocado for convenience – 30 calories per tbsp., and like I mentioned earlier this week, to get some good, healthy fat into my diet)
 

·         2 tbsp. PB2 peanut butter (it’s just powdered peanuts. Sold sometimes at Whole Foods, Central Market, and online – www.bellplantation.com)
 

·         Handful (or 1 cup) spinach (from a bag, as I call it – 20 calories per cup), or you could do fresh/frozen kale.
 

·         Blend.
 

·         Add 1 banana, if desired, to thicken (90 calories for 1 small banana)


·         Takes no more than 5 minutes to make, and is great on the go, if you’ve got a to-go cup at home.
This is Sunday's smoothie, in my Keurig To-go cup. Not representative of the green smoothie :)
 
 
Total calories (with 2 cups Unsweetened Almond Breeze Almond Milk) = 245 calories
 
Stel's Green Smoothie (BEST EVER)

Try it. Enjoy.

-Stel


PS:


 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment