Monday, January 20, 2014

Monday. Tomorrow. And other such excuses.

Nothing irks me more than hearing, "I'll start tomorrow" or another iteration, "I'll start my diet on Monday."

Most of us made resolutions for the New Year. I'll venture a guess that one of yours was to lose weight/eat better/be healthier. But there's a disconnect: you have the intentions, at least in written form, but you might not have the means, pathway, or motivation to get there.

You have to take a second to pause, and ask yourself, What's stopping you?
Why not make today your day one?

There's no SoulCycle in Dallas, but I've been following them for a while, thanks to Teddi, of Teddi. Set. Go! She was my original SPinspiration, and I loved reading the stories of how SoulCycle had transformed her, inside and out. Once my friend Brittani (after YEARS of trying) had gotten me to try and love BodyPump, which I consider to be the gateway drug for RPM, I stumbled into a 75-minute RPM Enduro class that fateful day in 2012 (August 29, to be exact), and now I'm on the other side, on the instructor bike, teaching 5-6 classes a week, 5-6 days/week.




Here's my love letter to RPM, not much different from Teddi's to SoulCycle.

SoulCycle (and its fans/riders) regularly posts #DailySoul on Twitter and Facebook, and when I find one I like, I either write it on a post-it note and tack it to the wall of my cube behind my laptop, print it out, or commit it to memory.

Here are a few to get you thinking


This one is HUGE. It applies to several facets in life, and I think it bears a highlight:
You can't change something you aren't willing to confront.

In the past year, several friends and acquaintances have approached me for a Come to Jesus of sorts for help on figuring out the diet/exercise equation. We all have different triggers, and things that make us tick, but what I would hear over and over again from people would be the things they just could not, without a doubt, give up, and thus, they either didn't start a diet/lifestyle change, or gave up quickly after starting.

For some people, it was cheese - "I can't give up cheese...ARE YOU CRAZY?"

"EXERCISE?! Who has time for that?! I'm so tired when I get home from a day of work, and on the weekend, I'm catching up on sleep."


So, I'll say it again. You can't change something you aren't willing to confront.
You're unhappy with how you look/feel, or how much you weigh. But you're not willing to give up sweets/cheese/bread, or whatever it might be.

It frustrates me how people don't put those two thoughts together.

What is it for you? What's the roadblock standing in your path to success?

For me, it's desserts/frozen yogurt. When I fall off the straight and narrow path, that's the first thing I want. No longer. Enter, the Yonanas maker.

Here's another DailySoul, c/o popular NYC instructor Ben Turshen:
"If you want something you've never had, you must do something you've never done."
OR, "There's no change without a challenge."


Here's another.



If you keep doing the same thing over and over again (insanity), why would you expect to see a change in your body?

The 80% diet/20% exercise rule works, guys. I've completely cleaned up my intake, without exception, since January 3. I was afraid to get on a scale, but finally made myself, and in 7 days of measurement, I lost 2.5 lbs, and the bigger success is how much better my clothes already fit, and how much better I feel. I don't feel bloated, or tired, and looser clothes are a plus.

I've got at least 10 more lbs to go, and one of the big motivations for me is seeing drops on the scale.

The biggest mistake you can make is celebrating the weight loss by allowing back in some of those things you gave up. Don't do it.



Readers, I'm here for you. Don't hesitate to email me (christine.stella@me.com), Facebook message me, direct message me on Twitter, add me on MyFitnessPal or LoseIt, text, or call for anything. If there's something tripping you up, or you can't figure out how you're going to live without XYZ, I'm here.

We're in this fight together.











No comments:

Post a Comment