Thursday, April 10, 2014

Three on Thursday

It's (throwback/thankful) Thursday! You've (almost) made it to the end of another week.

Did you crush it? (wincing) I have so far, but there's a long way to go, my friends.


  • I made Yonanas last night for the first time in 3 months, and I'm happy to have it back in the STELebrityFitClub kitchen rotation.
  • I've got one BodyPump class behind me, and one more to go on Sunday to hit my 2x/week goal.
  • I've eaten within my daily calorie allotment every day this week, and I just hit the 102 days of solid logging mark on myfitnesspal. I'd like to thank the Academy...
  • I made myself run to kill time before last night's 2nd RPM class of the day, and it looks like I can go faster than I ever thought possible (or the brand of treadmill I got on works different than the others...). Who knows – maybe a 5K will be in the cards – as long as I can get over my aversion to running in a crowd...
  • I haven't bought lunch once this week (that I can recall...), and either brought or went home for a healthy lunch. 
Workout week at a glance 
(not any different from any other, aside from the reinstating of BodyPump 2x/week)

M: Taught RPM.
T: Took BodyPump.
W: Team taught RPM 62 at 6A. Ran for a few minutes at 645P. Rode RPM 62 as a participant.
Th: Teaching RPM tonight
F: Jury's out on this one. I'll either get my ass up early and take a 6A cycle class at the gym/run the dreadmill in my apt gym, or take a rest day. We shall see.
Sa: Teaching RPM at 9A, attending a wedding in the evening
Su: Teaching RPM at 1030A. Making my (reinstituted) weekly trip to Sprouts. Taking BodyPump at 630P.


I'm a creature of habit (friends and family can definitely attest to that), but I'm open to new things, as long as I have a game plan in place.

Almost every night, I eat some sort of spiralized veggies with sauce, or an omelet over mâche lettuce, or something along those lines, and I could use some inspiration.

I've come across three fabulous resources recently, and wanted to share the wealth with you.

Here's my THREE on Thursday:

1) Deliciously Ella
This morning, I was scrolling through an email from Well + Good NYC, and stopped dead in my tracks when I saw this blurb:

One woman's transformation from sugar addict to healthy vegan food guru—via Into The Gloss


I think that describes a lot of people these days (me included!), so I read on, and found she has a recipe app for purchase on the iTunes store. Before committing to a $4.99 app, I decided to check out her site and Pinterest, and I'm sold.

I'm going to take some time with the blog this weekend and jot down any recipes I want to make, and make sure I get the ingredients at Sprouts on Sunday. (If you fail to plan, you plan to fail – amiright?)

How good does this stuff look?

Check out recipes here.

Zucchini Noodles with a Minted Avocado Sauce

Acai, Berry and Baobab Breakfast Bowl

Berry Scones from Deliciously Ella's upcoming book

Healthy on the Go: GREAT ideas for your week's meal prep!


The Perfect Potato Wedges

Avocado Cream


The Healthiest Chocolate Mousse (MUST TRY)

Nutritious Nutella. I need to see how this stacks up vs. the recipe I have.

Raw Banoffee Pie (Just need to buy some Medjool Dates!)




Once I get past a month or two of sweets avoidance, I'll think about making the below sweet potato brownies. I'm not sure where to score some unrefined cacao, or how much it costs, but that might be something to look into soon. In the meantime, my unsweetened Hershey's cocoa powder will do - dusted over a serving (1/4 c) of raw almonds, or sprinkled on some Yonanas.

Plus, she appears to be British, so you know that makes her an A++ in my book.

You don't have to be vegan to work these recipes into your rotation, but all recipes are vegan. Like I said, I'm open to change – as long as there is a game plan.


2) Inspiralized
Just like the name implies, this is ALL about Spiralizing, so you know I'm down! I came across Ali's blog, thanks to SoulCycle, and I can't wait to start making some of her recipes.

As far as my personal spiralizing goes, I'm pretty vanilla. I have only spiralized zucchini and sweet potato, but there's apparently an entire world of fruits and vegetables waiting to be spiralized!

She's got some great how-to videos, which I of course consulted for how to spiralize a sweet potato.

The Paderno spiralizer is easily the best purchase I've made all year, and it's the best $40 you'll spend. It's on Amazon, and I think it's a little pricer at Williams-Sonoma, but it's the same product.

These are awesome tips for spiralized cooking, some that are even new to me (I'm still a rookie spiralizer, let's be real)


Gruyere and Asparagus Potato "Noodle" Casserole

How good does this all look? SPIRALIZE your life.


The only other thing I need is a mini food processor, which I just bought on Amazon yesterday, so that I can turn spiralized "noodles" into "rice."

You can make "rice" pudding out of spiralized plantains. Behold!

Coconut Plantain "Rice" Pudding


3) Against All Grain
I've talked about AAG before, but it still deserves a place on this list.




Danielle, the genius behind AAG, is pregnant with baby number 2, and not only has a baby on the way, but another cookbook! I can't wait. I just pre-ordered it 5 minutes ago on Amazon. The book is out on September 2.





Everything I've made so far has been a complete KNOCKOUT, and it's made me and my incredulous coworkers exclaim something along the lines of, "OH. MY. GOD." after just a bite.

Real-Deal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chip Streusel Topping (THESE WERE INCREDIBLE and SO easy to make)

Worlds collided because Inspiralized has actually posted some guest recipes on the Against All Grain blog! Seems like I've found good company here.

Spicy Shrimp with Butternut Squash "Rice" with Tomatoes

Here's how to spiralize zucchini:

I plan to spend quality time with the book sometime this weekend to find some more recipes and make my shopping list match up.


Nothing kills healthy eating/living like boredom and monotony, so I encourage you to scour Pinterest and cookbooks, and the above 3 resources for ideas.

Shake things up! You have one body and one life to live, so you might as well keep it clean and beautiful, inside and out.


XO,
Stel


PS: What I'm listening to this week (I highly recommend SoulCycle's April Top 40 playlist)
Dare You - Cash Cash Remix (Hardwell, Matthew Koma)
Can't Pretend (Tom Odell)
All of Me - Tiesto's Birthday Treatment Remix - Radio Edit (John Legend)
Marilyn Monroe (Pharrell)
Brand New (Pharrell, Justin Timberlake)
Afraid (The Neighbourhood)
Cheap Sunglasses (RAC feat. Matthew Koma)
Sleeping With a Friend (Neon Trees)
Sally (Adam Port)
Red Lights (Tiesto)
Fever (The Black Keys)
It's Not Right But It's Okay (CHVRCHES)
Last Chance - Clockwork Remix (Kaskade, Project 46)
Superflat (The M Machine)

Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment