Monday, May 12, 2014

Stuck after SEVEN

So, I made it through day seven on both tries thus far of the 21 Day Sugar Detox, but day eight is now officially when my body decides to totally crap out on me (literally, last time, and more figuratively this time around).

Today is day eight, and today, I was a bad, bad, bad, broken, sick girl. (Sue me, I have Fiona Apple "Criminal" playing in the background, thanks to the shuffle feature on Spotify)

A Dust Bowl rolled into Dallas late last week, with tornado-force winds and lots and lots of rain on Thursday, and then just lots of wind, heat, and humidity on Friday. These types of conditions absolutely kill me, and I knew I was in for a rough time.

Friday, I was good and on point (powered through a 6A city surf workout taught by an instructor who is a Dallas Mavericks dancer on the side, and ate a completely on plan breakfast/lunch) until a dinner date rolled around (which I had accounted for), but what I had not accounted for was having 3 vodka sodas and eating very little food on my date. Alcohol is definitely on the no column of my YES/NO list, but I decided that I wasn't going to let one setback completely reset the counter to day zero.

YES

NO


Saturday, I woke up extremely hungover with a postnasal drip-type sore throat, and taught RPM at 9A, changed tops and headed to Starbucks for an Iced Venti Americano (5 shots of espresso + water + ice), and then had one of my best-ever 11A City Surf Circuits classes.

It's a wonder what a hangover and a prior workout can do to you. I had improved noticeably since last week on my plank form. I noticed my balance on the board was a lot better than before, for the most part, and I felt really empowered through all 3 rounds of 12 30-second HIIT stations and all 12 in-between station exercises (low, single-leg pulsing lunges, and then "wave runners," aka mountain climbers, or the optional plank hold for 30 seconds). The rest of the day was completely in line with the detox.

9A

1010A

11A-12P (planks, and lots and lots of other 30 sec HIIT stations, x 12, 3 rounds)


Sunday rolled around. I taught RPM at 1030. I came back home and ate some 21DSD food to tide me over until a late Mother's Day lunch, and built my own completely fine salad with avocado and salsa for dressing. Dinner checked out, too. Then, I headed to meet some friends who were at dinner, and I ordered an iced coffee, but got handed an iced cappuccino, which fell on the NO side of the list, but I drank it anyway… and then another.

NO. But YES, times two.


All day Sunday, I had nonstop sneeze attacks, a runny nose, and watery eyes, and every single meal with family and friends was outside on a patio, which was really fun and beautiful, but probably didn't help out my allergy situation much.

This is me right now. (I googled "tissues miserable")


Today is day eight (of 21). On paper, I had a 6A City Surf Circuits class booked and I was pumped, and then had my regular Monday 7P spin class that I teach at an apartment complex to look forward to at the end of the day.

Well, 4A rolled around. I hadn't gotten one wink of sleep, and my runny nose wouldn't quit. CSF Circuits has lots and lots of up and down motions and planks, and the thought of that + a runny nose just didn't sound doable, so I cancelled my class from the City Surf app, was notified I'd be charged for a late cancel, and went back to sleep for a bit. 

Unfortunately, no amount of money or prescription medications can fight the type of seasonal and yearly allergies I have today (I type this while staring at a digital thermometer, off-brand Benadryl, the RX nasal spray my mom drove over to me today, chronic dry eye notes from my doctor, and a few million tissues), so I ended up going home from work after only being there a few hours, and unfortunately, ended up going off plan at lunch, snack, and dinner.

What is it about day eight? I was doing so great for days one-seven (aside from the aforementioned vodka sodas, which are sort of table stakes when you're on a date, amiright, and the accidental iced cappucinos)

Day eight today was No workouts. Lots of NO foods. Just an all-around NO day. I let one slip-up at lunch turn into an all-day affair. But, to quote that book I never read, "Tomorrow is another day."


I just threw out all of the off-plan things that were hiding in my pantry, and I've given myself several slaps on the wrist, and I'm ready to just declare tomorrow day eight, take two. Today was like a practice swing in golf. It doesn't count. Well, it counts, but since I'm committing to turning things completely back around tomorrow, it's an exception to the rule, and not habit.


Never forget that. Don't let one slip-up completely undermine all of the hard work you've done.

Nobody is perfect. There will always be stress. There will always be temptation.

There will be times when you get sick, and you just have to rely on comfort foods that might not be within your particular lifestyle/intake plan.

But hopefully more often than those scenarios, there are those times when you just absolutely kick ass and take names in the kitchen, out with friends/family/your boo, and in the gym. And that's where you find true north.


Today wasn't pretty. I'm still sneezing and my eyes are crying, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I run out of my last tissue box tonight. But tomorrow is another day.


Here's to getting things back on track tomorrow (HELL OR HIGH WATER) with day eight, part two. And to my airwaves getting back to normal.


XO,
Stel


PS I really want to see this when it comes out.


No comments:

Post a Comment