Friday, July 18, 2014

Third time's a charm: 21-day sugar detox diet, take 3



I'm determined to finish this year fitter, healthier, happier, and leaner than I started it. What have I been doing differently to accomplish that goal?

1) I'm on round 3 of the 21-day sugar detox diet, and determined to make it through all 21 days (hell or high water).

I'm determined to make it through the full 21 days this time. I've been knocked down dead in my tracks at the day 8 mark my previous 2 tries, so I'm a little scared about the days to come, but I'm armed with prepped foods and fresh ingredients in my fridge to keep the momentum going.

Here goes EVERYTHING.

Today marks day five. I'll admit, It hasn't been easy. I'm doing level 3, admittedly the strictest of the 3 levels, but it's not a far departure from my typical eating habits. It's just a box that I have to navigate for about 3 weeks. Refer to the 21DSD website for more information, or check out the book which you can get on the iBooks store or Amazon, for example!

I really, really, really miss banana + Creamy Sunbutter (the kind with sugar in it). And fruit. I've got a few things in my fridge and pantry that are off-limits, like cantaloupe cubes and Evolution Fresh juices, and I plan on giving the fruit to my dad this weekend, and I'll save the juices for August 4 (Day 22).


If you're interested in starting this up, sign up here and you'll get daily emails, including videos, recipes, and motivation, and a few words about things you might expect on that given day. You pick which day you're going to start your detox, and the emails are completely tailored to your schedule.

Here's part of the Day 5 email. I needed these words today.

There's a treasure trove of information on the 21DSD website and a lot of printer-friendly shopping lists, guides, and most important, the daily success log.

Here's a glimpse into what's gone on this week in the kitchen:

Avocado Cream Zucchini Noodles with Smoked Salmon (salmon not pictured). INCREDIBLE and incredibly easy to make! Recipe here.

From Whole Foods. Ingredients: Raw almonds. THAT'S IT.

PaleOMG Almost 5-ingredient Spaghetti Squash Casserole (Spaghetti Squash, No-sugar pizza sauce, Italian Sausage, and 3 eggs - I omit the onions and basil called for in the recipe). The hardest part is prepping the squash (removing the seeds, and slicing it in half to bake), but other than that, this is one of my favorite #21DSD (and otherwise) go-tos!

Whole Foods Build-your-own smoothie: unsweetened vanilla almond milk, banana (green-tipped is my assumption), kale, spinach, and a little bit of coconut water. INCREDIBLE. The greener, the better.



My take on the standard Paleo Egg Muffin. It's 12 eggs, whisked, with salt and pepper, chopped mushroom, spinach, and bacon bits, poured into a greased or papered/silicone cupped muffin tin. Bake in a 400F oven for 15-20 minutes. Refrigerate and eat throughout the week. Good cold, or reheated, microwaved for 1 minute.


2) I've dramatically changed the how/where/what component of my workouts.

I'm one day short of my three-month City Surf Fitness anniversary, and when I take off my funhouse mirror lenses, and take a cold, hard look in the mirror, I see change, and change for the better. I still don't love what I see, but I know that I'm constantly taking steps (literally) to get myself to where I need and want to be, and that's the most important thing right now.

City Surf classes almost always have something new. There's always a new move or a new challenge, and it's the type of complete ass kick I crave, day after day.

100% true. Last Saturday's class was my first with the incomparable David Case. 4 rounds of circuits, 30-45 seconds per move, including Battle Rope Jump Squats, 25-lb dumbbell squat-to-presses, Medicine Ball burpees, 25-lb sandbell slams, among other high-intensity moves. LOVED IT and was absolutely drenched, even just a few minutes in.


A typical week for me looks like this now:
M: 6A City Surf Circuits, 7P teach spin, run/walk to get remaining steps of my 10K daily fitbit goal

T: 730P City Surf Buddha Board yoga, run/walk to get remaining steps of my 10K daily fitbit goal

W: 6A teach RPM, run/walk to get remaining steps of my 10K daily fitbit goal (weather-permitting, I hit the Katy Trail)

R: 6A City Surf Big Kahuna (strength training class with 10-lb sandbells and resistance bands), 7P teach spin

F: 6A City Surf, run/walk to get remaining steps of my 10K daily fitbit goal

Sa: 9A teach RPM, run to City Surf (I limit the run to make sure I'm not a sweaty, exhausted mess before the next class starts), 11A City Surf Circuits, run/walk back to my car (I typically get an Iced Venti Americano at Starbucks on the way to my car)

Shameless #selfie after teaching RPM on Saturday, and right before strapping on my shoes to run to City Surf


Su: 1030A teach RPM, run/walk to get remaining steps of my 10K daily fitbit goal
(I use the rest of the day to food shop and prep for the week, and if I'm being good, I log time on the gigantic presentation looming over my head that I have to give in September)

This week, we launched RPM 63. On Tuesday night, I had the honor of team teaching the Preston Center launch with 2 of my favorite teammates who I've never gotten to teach with before. 63 is no joke!


3) New gear. New look. New life.
As I mentioned in my last post, fitbit and running are new. 
Getting faster and faster every time! Trying to work in at least one to two runs a week.




The SPI Belt (Small Personal Item belt) has changed the game for me because I finally have somewhere to put my keys and wallet, and whatever else I need for wherever I start and finish my run. I have my good friend Brittani to thank for this find (she's also the one who got me into group fitness in the first place, AND into City Surf, so I owe her my life)!

It's essentially Hermione's expandable bag. It fits SO MUCH, and it's so little. It's a little on the fanny pack side, so you can certainly tuck it under your shirt if you don't want to show it off. Available on the SPI site and on Amazon. It comes in several colors and styles, and mine is just like the one pictured above.


I have a new pair of Nike running shoes set to arrive today, and hope that those are more comfortable than the 4- and 3-year-old pairs of shoes I've been running in lately. Achilles pain two seconds into a run is no joke.



And, I have a new pair of spinning shoes coming in the mail next week. This will be my FIFTH pair since getting my first pair in October 2013. The bikes I ride on are pretty...rough, to put it lightly, and both shoes in my latest pair are half-cracked on the bottom, and they don't clip into the pedals securely at one of the gyms I teach at, so they're just basically dead to me right now.



Fingers crossed that these ones work 10000 x better so I don't have to teach in sneaks on Sunday mornings anymore, which is infinitely harder than teaching in cycling shoes, which allow you to more efficiently (and safely, when the clips work right) climb and race. I've ridden in these exact shoes at BEYOND Pedaling, so I'd have to think that they're legit...

I've still got a long road ahead of me, and it's a never-ending one...but at least I've got a new pair of shoes (or two) to carry me along the way.

Cheers to the freaking weekend, and to August 4, day 22 of my Detox, and my parents' 35th wedding annivesary, concidentally...

XO, Stel





1 comment:

  1. It's been good to see your blog when I always look for such type of blogs. Thanks for your sharing. I have been really impressed by going through this awesome info.Recently i have read a very good online review about Diet Plan that will help you to loosing weight Easily.

    ReplyDelete